Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) involves taking of Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) drugs after potential experience of HIV infection. It is an emergency HIV treatment usually received within 72 hours following the possible exposure. This should actually be confused to overcome HIV but instead a variety of preventing infection. Its, in fact, this brief course of ARV drugs to prevent the expertise of HIV from progressing in to a life-threatening condition.
Some information about PEP
- Taking PEP may result in a range of negative effects including fatigue and nausea, it really is advisable to never quit taking the medication, instead for your doctor.
- The emergency treatment need to be started without delay to make sure of its usefulness. Meaning, it should be less 72 hours after experience of the herpes virus.
- PEP is prescribed by your doctor being taken daily all at once for approximately A month. That is according to the World Health Organization’s guideline on PEP use.
Who can usually get PEP?
The reality is that PEP is just not available everywhere and never everybody is qualified to apply for the remedy. After presenting yourself to a health care provider and explaining situations under which you would imagine which you were in contact with HIV, then you will be advised accordingly, along with the physician determines in case you indeed want to implement PEP. It is not always you will be offered this emergency treatment.
You are only able to take PEP if
- It set in 72 hrs when you were in contact with HIV
- Your mucous membrane including mouth, vagina, rectum, or eyes came into direct exposure to another woman’s body fluids, and you simply suspect for being infectious
- An open wound came into contact with another woman’s body fluids and presumed for being infected
Each other is HIV positive, or their HIV status isn’t known
- You were sexually assaulted over the last 72 hours
- Your shared needles with another man whose HIV status is not really known or is regarded as being positive
PEP should invariably be sought in emergency cases rather than used as a replacement for regular prevention methods like Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) that is certainly adopted every day basis to reduce your probabilities of contracting the virus.
PEP will not be certified as 100% effective. Due to this, it is best to continue using protection in the sack while taking emergency medication. With this, you can prevent exposing yourself to HIV again in addition to prevent transmitting genital herpes completely to another an associate case you get being infected while you are taking PEP.
Payment for PEP
Upon explaining to your health care provider and recommended to consider PEP, you have three options;
In case that you are sexually assaulted, you might be automatically entitled to full or partial reimbursement for medicines and medical assistance costs because of the Office of Victims of Crime if you’re in america alone.
In case you get prescribed PEP for virtually any other reason, you may use insurance plan or pay in cash
Lastly, it’s possible you’ll request this care provider to apply for Free PEP medicines using the medication assistance programs usually run by way of the manufacturers. This is successfully done web faxed to your company or call the corporation directly as well as medicine can be delivered urgently to stop delays.
According into the Cdc and Prevention, you ought not always depend upon PEP like a solution or apply it as being an excuse to acquire unprotected sex that has a person whose HIV status seriously isn’t known. Our recommendation is that you check with your healthcare provider about Pre-exposure prophylaxis rather then banking on PEP medicines.??